Salmorejo is a soup based on tomato and bread, originating in Cordoba (Andalusia) It is made from tomatoes, bread, oil, garlic and vinegar. The soup is served cold and garnished with diced Spanish Serrano ham and diced hard-boiled eggs.
VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
RIPE RED TOMATOES
GREEN PEPPER (OR RED FOR DRAMATIC COLOUR)
STALE BREAD (CRUMB NOT CRUST)
GOOD WINE VINEGAR ( JEREZ VINEGAR IF POSSIBLE)
ONE CLOVE OF GARLIC
SALT AND PEPPER
- Soak the bread in cold water.
- In a mortar or processor, grind the garlic, the salt and the green or red pepper.
- Add four or five tomatoes (for four people) and continue grinding
- Add the damp bread, having wrung out the water, and grind until you have a fine paste.
- Add half a glass of olive oil and mix until you have an unctuous paste.
- Now splash in a little vinegar, to taste, and mix in well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve cold topped with chopped hard-boiled egg and chopped jamon or crispy bacon